Friday, August 29, 2014

Rome: Pincio Park

Maritime Pines, Pincio Park
Having been to Rome often over the years, I didn’t have much planned for my brief stay this year. I booked a great little B&B where I’ve stayed several times in the past: near the Termini train station, and only 35 euros a night! Little Italy is a good walk from Termini, but it’s close to a metro stop and is run by Rene, a very attentive host.
Che tranquillo!
I arrived in Rome about 8:30 in the morning, to hot and humid weather. Very hot and very humid. Kind of like the weather at home! I was exhausted, so after I checked in, I crashed for a few hours before heading out in the city. I felt drawn to visit Pincio, a massive park on the other side of town. I took the metro and found myself in a part of the park I’d never seen before. There was a small lake, and row boats for hire for those wanting to join the ducks and swans paddling around in the water. I headed over to Villa Borghese, home of a famous art gallery with a wonderful collection of statues by Bernini. 

Moonlight Sonata amidst the trees in Pincio.
I’ve been to the gallery before, and wasn’t in the mood to be in a museum, so I opted instead to continue walking around the park, listening to a classical guitar player by the lake, and a jazz saxophone player closer to the Villa Borghese. The main thing that keeps pulling me back to Pinco are the maritime pines that look graceful over much of the part. I’m always entranced by their elegant beauty. 

Stately and elegant pines in Pincio
On the way back to the B&B, I stopped by several familiar areas: the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, and the Trevi Fountain (now under construction) but was simply too tired to enjoy them for long.

The Pantheon, one of my favorite places in Rome
After nearly five hours of walking, I headed back to the B&B, stopping to eat dinner at an outdoor café near Santa Maria Maggiore, a huge and beautiful church in this part of town.

Cafe where I had dinner, with the cupola of Santa Maria Maggiore in the background.

1 comment:

dawnmarie said...

Glad you've made it there safely! Looking forward to hearing more and seeing your pictures.