Thursday, January 16, 2014

Study Roman Architecture online for free!

Coliseum, Rome
I've recently started an online course on Roman Architecture that is being offered by Yale University through Coursera. I've explained Coursera and MOOCs in a previous post. The course is free and lasts for 15 weeks. Each week there are a variety of videos to view, along with quizzes and written assignments for those who wish to receive a certificate of completion. Forum discussions are available for those who wish to participate. Since the course is free and open to anyone, students from all over the world participate.

From the Coursera site:
"This course is an introduction to the great buildings and engineering marvels of Rome and its empire, with an emphasis on urban planning and individual monuments and their decoration, including mural painting. While architectural developments in Rome, Pompeii, and Central Italy are highlighted, the course also provides a survey of sites and structures in what are now North Italy, Sicily, France, Spain, Germany, Greece, Turkey, Croatia, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, and North Africa." 

For anyone who is interested in Roman architecture, I'd highly recommend this class!
Pantheon, Rome
I'm particularly excited about this course because it covers many places and ruins I've seen in Italy, including those I've visited recently in Rome, Tivoli, Ostia Antica, Ercolano and Pompeii. Since my travels to these places are still fresh in my mind, I'm excited about this opportunity to learn more about them. I'll also be learning more about the Pantheon, one of my all time favorite places to visit in Rome.  Since I'm also enrolled in several other Coursera classes, I'm mainly interested in learning what I can from the videos.

For more information, check out this link:
 https://www.coursera.org/course/romanarchitecture

What's more, this course is compiled from a more complete online course, also free, that is offered by the Open Yale Course site, which can be accessed at any time from this link:
http://oyc.yale.edu/history-art/hsar-252

2 comments:

Karen Smith said...

Hi Marybeth - One of my New Years resolutions is to engage with, instead of just stalking, my favorite blogs. So, hello! I'm a fellow midwesterner with a passion for Italy. I market and manage our vacation rental villa near Orvieto, so I get to go there a lot when the weather isn't very inviting. Anyway, I've been reading your blog for awhile, and now we're classmates as well -- I just signed up for the Roman Architecture class. Thank you for your blog and thanks also for the introduction to Coursera!

marybeth said...

Ciao, Karen!
I love Orvieto and hope to make it back there sometime soon. I hope you enjoy Coursera as much as I do. You're the third Karen from the U.S that I know of in Italy. Keep in touch!

ti saluto,
Marybeth