Sunday, October 13, 2013

Firenze: Giardini e Villa Bardini

Entering the Giardini Bardini
Yesterday was a cool, sunny day, and I decided to take advantage of it by visiting Villa Bardini and its vast gardens. The entrance to the park is just up the street from my apartment, but it's a steep climb once you're in the park to reach the villa, where art exhibits are held.

A steep climb!
The garden itself is best seen in the spring and summer, when flowers are blooming, but I had the place to myself and enjoyed the incredible views of Florence and San Niccolo.

The Duomo in the distance
San Niccolo!
il drago canale : The Dragon Canal
I was especially interested in the exhibit at the villa, as it had a connection to my stay in Paris last fall.  The exhibit, Il Rinascimento da Firenze a Parigi: Andata e ritorno (The Renaissance from Florence to Paris: There and back), refers to Italian treasures of the Museum Jacquemart-André in Paris that have now returned home (albeit only for a visit).  Famous works by Botticelli, Donatello, Mantegna, and Paolo Uccello were included in the exhibit. 

 Belvedere : Beautiful view!
I had stumbled upon the Museum Jacquemart-André in Paris last fall after seeing an advertisement in the metro about an exhibit being held there of the Venetian artists Canaletto and Guardi. You can read my post from last fall here:  Paris, Day 4, 2012.

The pieces by Botticelli at Villa Bardini were especially stunning, and I found the frames on all the paintings to be of particular interest: fine old wood frames, carved by hand. It seems ironic that many paintings I saw in Paris have followed me to Florence this year! There's also an exhibit at the Modern Art Gallery in Palazzo Pitti of Impressionist paintings that I first saw in the Musee D'Orsay.  Paris, Day 1, 2012

Twelve paintings by Monet, Cezanne, Renoir, Pissarro and Degas are featured. So I've had a second chance to see these stunning masterpieces.  Impressionisti a Palazzo Pitti

I'd love to see this pergola when it's covered with blooming flowers
A few roses still blooming
The park and villa are an easy walk from my apartment, and I will definitely return in the future.

No comments: