Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Spring in Kansas

Japanese Cherry Tree

It's spring in Kansas, and some days, it even feels like summer! On Sunday, it was 90 degrees F. (30 C.) and the flowers started popping out on my Japanese cherry tree: by the end of the day, it was fully in bloom. I planted the tree ten years ago: it was a birthday gift from my son, and it is the same type of ornamental cherry tree that one sees in Washington D.C.

A gift from the mayor of Tokyo in 1912, the trees in D.C. were donated in an effort to enhance the growing friendship between the U.S. and Japan. When my tree blooms, it's like a soft pink cloud floating in my yard.



Tulips have also started blooming, and it's a lovely show of color around the house. This is my favorite time of year at home, and I'm glad to see the flowers blooming before I take off for Rome in three weeks.

No comments: